1. Asparagus grows STRAIGHT OUT OF THE GROUND and it’s kinda creepy.
Matt Cardy / Getty Images
2. Eggplants grow on low plants and are technically berries (wtf).
Fred Tanneau / AFP / Getty Images
3. Peanuts grow underground and look kinda gnarly.
Don Emmert / AFP / Getty Images
4. Cashews grow out of these weird apple-like things and have toxic shells, which is why you’ll never see unshelled cashews at the store.
5. Artichokes are flowers — the part we eat is the bud of the flower — and they produce these beautiful blossoms when they bloom, rendering the rest of the plant inedible.
Flickr / Creative Commons / Wayne Marshall / Via Flickr: 37701355@N00
6. Quinoa is the edible seeds of this plant.
7. Pineapples grow in the middle of these cute plants and make for some really cute pineapple fields.
Flickr / Creative Commons / Hiro Yamagata / Via Flickr: hiyori13
8. Avocados grow on trees in big clusters. See you at Chipotle!
9. Kiwi grow on vines. For some reason, I always pictured a tree??
Bignai / Getty Images
10. Almonds are the seeds of this tree. They grow in woody shells.
Moodboard / Getty Images
11. Ginger is the underground root of this plant.
12. Papayas grow like bananas in a cluster on a tree.
Rue015 / Getty Images
13. Kidney beans grown in pods, obvi.
14. Dates grow in large, pendulous clumps on date palm trees.
15. Capers are the pickled flower buds of this plant.
Flickr / Creative Commons / Michel Bertalat / Via Flickr: 44321394@N00
16. Brussels sprouts grow aboveground in these crazy stalks.
Flickr / Creative Commons / Katy Stoddard / Via Flickr: 68067047@N00
17. Celery grows straight out of the ground, too.
18. Chickpeas grow in low plants in these little green shells.
Flickr / Creative Commons / Brad Smith / Via Flickr: 57402879@N00
19. Olives grow on weird-looking trees and are harvested by shaking the bough or tree until they fall off.
20. Cinnamon is literally the dried inner bark of this tree.
Flickr / Creative Commons / Abby Flat-coat / Via Flickr: 22912005@N06